Formed in 1965, Marashen Crescent Housing Committee was created to administer public sector housing designed specifically for older residents. Marashen Crescent Housing Committee merged with Castletown & Malew Elderly Persons Board in 2020 to become the Southern Sheltered Housing Joint Board.
There are five Committee members. Each is selected to represent their respective local authorities in the catchment areas of Port St Mary, Port Erin, Rushen/Arbory, Castletown and Malew. The Committee meets once a month usually in on the last Monday of each month.
Administration is provided by Port St Mary Commissioners office, the Clerk of which is also the Clerk for Southern Sheltered Housing Joint Board.
Older Persons Housing
Historically called ‘sheltered’ housing, older persons housing is designed to provide self contained accommodation for people aged 65 and over who are able to live independently. This type of housing does not provide Residential Care or Nursing Home facilities.
Marashen Crescent Housing Committee offers the following benefits and services to their tenants:
- To provide a ‘good neighbour’ daily visit. Our Wardens will check on each tenant daily, seven days a week.
- Each apartment has a 24 hour emergency call system which can be activated by a pull cord. There is an emergency pull cord located in every room. In the event assistance in required, you will be able to talk to someone at the control centre via an intercom system.
- To live in a community of residents of a similar age.
- To provide affordable housing for retired people on low incomes.
The Warden’s main duties are:-
- To contact each tenant on a daily basis.
- To be aware of each tenant’s needs.
- To liaise with other service providers and health professionals when required.
- To deal with any emergencies regarding a tenant or our properties.
- To report any maintenance issues to the office and Foreman.
The Wardens cannot run errands or provide nursing care for residents. Other service providers and relatives are required to provide supporting care if needed.